1/28/2008

Tao Character


We learned to write this one for our Foundations of Chinese Medicine class.

To read it, start by looking at the top right:
Two eyes (above the vertical line)
Become one (the vertical line and the small stroke under it)
To look into oneself (the square form with 4 horizontal lines through it)

And reveal (now look at the top left)
The path (bottom line)

There's an excellent site that shows how the character is drawn (link at top), scroll down to the letter D, it is the 4th Dao mentioned (different tone, different word! But more about this later).
Kids, do practice this at home! There's a strange sense of achievement when you're able to draw this one :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to know how to write these things, but looking at the website you linked to, I'm disencouraged forever!

Meirav said...

no no no please don't be... A journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step - I keep reminding myself that when I think of the way ahead...
Just pick one character - preferably the Dao, and work on it... if you practice every day, by the time I come to IS you'll have it down!